Mobile Phone and Electronic Device Policy
Kilberry National School
This policy was drawn up in response to technological advances, which have seen a significant increase in use of mobile phones and electronic devices amongst the school population over recent years.
Mobile phones and other electronic devices can be intrusive and distracting in a school environment. Mobile phones are a potential and real source of bullying and abuse through text messaging and through the dissemination of inappropriate images. As such, strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of unauthorised technology in a school situation. This policy was prepared in order to clarify the rules regarding children’s use of mobile phones and personal electronic devices in Kilberry National School.
Relationship to School Ethos:
The use of mobile phones and other unauthorised electronic devices contravenes the provision of a safe and secure school environment – a provision which is central to the mission statement and ethos of Kilberry N.S.
- To ensure a “technology safe” school environment
- To ensure the safety and privacy of all individuals at school
Internal School Procedures:
The following are the guidelines for mobile phone/electronic devices usage in the school;
- Children are not allowed to use mobile phones or personal electronic devices during school hours and during school related activities e.g. school tours, matches, swimming.
- Pupils are not allowed to bring mobile phones or electronic devices into school.
- Children who need to contact home during school hours may do so through the school secretary using the school phone
- In exceptional circumstances, a child may be required to carry a mobile phone to school. In such cases the class teacher must be informed and the phone must be switched off and given to the class teacher at the beginning of the school day. The phone will be returned at home time.
- Pupils who ignore this policy and use a mobile phone on school premises or during school related activities without permission will be required to hand over their phone to a member of staff and parents/guardians will be asked to collect it from the school office.
- The school will incorporate this policy into the school’s discipline policy and will treat breaches as they would treat any other breach of school discipline.
- Pupils found using mobile phones or unauthorised electronic devices on school premises or during school related activities to bully other pupils or send offensive messages/calls will face disciplinary actions as per the School Code of Behaviour. The posting of unauthorised images/messages/recordings by pupils to social media sites will also be considered a breach of the school’s discipline policy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
All staff share in the co-ordination and implementation of this policy.
This policy is monitored on an ongoing basis and amendments added as new technology comes on stream.
This policy was ratified on ______________
Signed: Leon Kenny
Chairperson, Board of Management